Sunday, September 28, 2014

How Long, Oh Lord? Psalms 13



Psalm 13  A Prayer for Help in Trouble.

  1 How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? 

  2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, Having sorrow in my heart all the day? How long will my enemy be exalted over me? 
  3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; Enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death, 
  4 And my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,” And my adversaries will rejoice when I am shaken. 
  5 But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
  6 I will sing to the Lord, Because He has dealt bountifully with me.

Do you know what I liked about this Psalm? Even David, beloved of God sometimes felt like God had abandoned him. Like he was on his own, clueless as to how to serve God without His guidance. And yet, even though he felt abandoned, even though he felt like he was suddenly God's red headed step child. That God actually favored his enemies. He still knew, in his heart that his only true recourse was to turn to God. To believe in the faith he had entrusted in God. Because God had yet to fail  in a promise made.

How easy is it to step believing? To allow the circumstances to dictate the facts. To turn our own way, sure that we can handle our struggles on our own? Way too easy. This Psalm reminds me of one of my favorite expressions, "I have failed God many times but He has NEVER failed me." Seems David got the memo. It's ok to question but when our doubts overflow (or even just start) turn your eyes to God. Because He has never failed us and his promise is solid as the very foundations of the world.

Shauni


*remember these are my thoughts on this verse and what I took away from my Bible study.. feel free to add yours to the discussion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share your thoughts, I welcome them