Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Abiding Life: Part 1, Gen 1:26-27


We recently started a Bible Study on verses that help with our Abiding Life.. And how that can lead into discipleship. I thought I would use the verses for my individual Bible Study. To further study each verse. Then the light bulb went on and I decided to go ahead and post my thoughts here. It's time I got back to my bog and this was an excellent place to start.

I have discovered over time that it really helps me to put my thoughts about such class discussions into writing thus making it even easier to share with you all.

Genesis 1:26-27

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

Interesting fact.. This is the only time in the Bible when the words image and likeness are both used. Usually they are interchangeable but the nuances of the words matter this time.

Image - 1)Copy or Replica 2)Able to express the essential nature of something.

So when we were made in God's image we were created to express God's essence. Not so much as His looks and form but rather the spirit. The part that makes Him God. We were created to share God's essence..

Likeness - True representation, like a picture.

This is more what we think when we say image. We were created in God's likeness. We are not God we are representatives. It's like a picture, that's our likeness on paper but it lacks our essence. But Good took care of that. He created us in both His image and His likeness.

So there you have it, Mankind was created to represent the essential and true nature of God.

Now that we hold such an awesome gift from God, how should we use it? We need to remember that we share God's image, His essential essence and let that shine through.

Most Christians (actually most people) are judged not by what they do (Like Dr, Lawyer, Cook, Bottle washer, etc..) but in who we are. What are essence is. Think about it.. you have a brilliant doctor.. great at his job but he's a total jerkface. While we might appreciate his talents we don't want to socialize with him. That's his essence we don't particularly like.

The easiest way to start witnessing to others is to allow God's essence to shine through in our everyday life. Make that who we are.

Shauni

*remember these are my thoughts on this verse and what I took away from my Bible study.. feel free to add yours to the discussion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share your thoughts, I welcome them