Monday, January 30, 2012

What a Friend

Music is a constant in my life.. not that I have any talent what so ever but I have a profound love of song.. *rolls eyes* well some songs.. Usually silly camp songs.. but the other songs I adore are hymns.. I will find myself humming or singing to myself in a regular basis.. Lately I have been singing/humming What a Friend We Have in Jesus...

While this is a beautiful song it is an even more beautiful reality.. Jesus is the very best of friends and as is so often the case.. that makes it all to easy to take Him for granted. We, as Christians need to remember.. a true friend is always there for us.. BUT we need to return the favor, so to speak. We (make that I) need to always be there for Jesus.. Because we have this awesome friend who not only died so that we might live.. He also carries our burdens for us.

Matthew 11:28-30
King James Version (KJV)

 28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Thus the reality of a Christ like life.. The thing NON Christians never quite get. Because we have this amazing friend, life's burdens are easy. I remember once being told that Christianity was a crutch, something people used to lean on in hard times.. It was said with a sneer, instead of in wonder. I remember thinking no, living a Christ like life is hard..really really hard.. choosing the right path over and over again.. then I realized, in a way they were right. We do have something to lean on, SOMEONE, someone who will bear our burdens for us. So if you need to call Christianity a crutch, go ahead.. so will I.. Although there is no sneer in my voice when I refer to my crutch, my Savior.. no there is joy, wonder, awe and amazement.. you can have the sneer.

So dear friends, I will tell you.. What a Friend I have in Jesus..

In case you don't know the words to the song, here they are..

  1. What a friend we have in Jesus,
    All our sins and griefs to bear!
    What a privilege to carry
    Everything to God in prayer!
    Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
    Oh, what needless pain we bear,
    All because we do not carry
    Everything to God in prayer!
  2. Have we trials and temptations?
    Is there trouble anywhere?
    We should never be discouraged—
    Take it to the Lord in prayer.
    Can we find a friend so faithful,
    Who will all our sorrows share?
    Jesus knows our every weakness;
    Take it to the Lord in prayer.
  3. Are we weak and heavy-laden,
    Cumbered with a load of care?
    Precious Savior, still our refuge—
    Take it to the Lord in prayer.
    Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
    Take it to the Lord in prayer!
    In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
    Thou wilt find a solace there
  4. Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised
    Thou wilt all our burdens bear;
    May we ever, Lord, be bringing
    All to Thee in earnest prayer.
    Soon in glory bright, unclouded,
    There will be no need for prayer—
    Rapture, praise, and endless worship
    Will be our sweet portion there.

I hope this touches your heart, it came from mine

Shauni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share your thoughts, I welcome them